The Peninsula Times - Government encourages women to report rape in French star's assault probes

Johannesburg -
Government encourages women to report rape in French star's assault probes
Government encourages women to report rape in French star's assault probes / Photo: Alain JOCARD - AFP/File

Government encourages women to report rape in French star's assault probes

The French government spokeswoman on Tuesday encouraged women to speak out about sexual violence, "even decades later," as she addressed mounting allegations of rape and assault targeting popular singer and actor Patrick Bruel.

Text size:

Bruel, 67, is a major figure in French pop culture, with multiple top‑selling albums to his name, and has appeared in more than 40 films.

He is the latest in a string of French film and music celebrities accused of sexual assault.

"We must continue to bring into public discourse extremely clear messages that encourage women to speak out, even decades later," government spokeswoman Maud Bregeon told the France 2 broadcaster, referring to claims of rape targeting the French star.

"We must all work toward a political, media, and judicial system that allows women who have been victims of sexist and sexual violence to speak out, to say it publicly, and to be heard by the justice system," she added.

"I listen to them," she added. "And then it is up to the justice system to establish the truth of the facts."

Bruel faces several probes in France and Belgium and more are expected to be announced. He denies all the accusations.

On Monday, prosecutors said they had reopened an investigation targeting Bruel over an alleged rape in 2015.

His accuser, Ophelie Fajfer, was 19 years old at the time of the alleged rape, her lawyer Myriam Guedj Benayoun told the BFMTV broadcaster.

Fajfer -- then a young composer -- had gone to Bruel's holiday residence in southern France in hopes of receiving professional advice from the singer, she said.

The Nanterre prosecutor's office in the western suburbs of Paris is already handling three investigations into rape allegations against Bruel involving incidents that allegedly took place in 1997, 2000 and 2008.

A probe has also been opened in Belgium following a complaint regarding an alleged sexual assault.

Two women also filed another complaint last week for rape and sexual assault, which should lead to a new investigation.

"I have never forced a woman," Bruel wrote on Instagram on Sunday.

"And if I may have hurt anyone, I sincerely regret it."

(T.Byrne--TPT)